Perfectly toasted marshmallows and melted chocolate chips work together to make these tasty s'mores cookie bars. The chewy and soft cookies are an excellent dessert any time of the year.
S'mores are a staple recipe when it comes to a summertime dessert. While roasting marshmallows over a campfire is always fun, it isn't always super practical. That's where these s'mores bars come into play. The bars take all the best elements of a s'more and make it accessible to make it your oven, no matter the season.
S'more Cookie Bar Recipe
The bars basically act as one giant s'mores. The bottom layer of the bars is made with graham cracker crumbs, followed by layers and layers of chocolate chunks and marshmallow fluff. One bite of the bars, and you'll experience a load of different textures. The cookie base is crumbly, the chocolate is melty, and the marshmallow fluff is perfectly gooey.
The secret to getting the perfectly toasted marshmallow in the bar is using fluff instead of traditional marshmallows. Typical marshmallows tend to burn and caramelize right into the bars, leaving an unpleasant taste. The fluff works just like a toasted marshmallow would over a campfire. Spreading it layer by layer around the chocolate and the cookies allows the marshmallow flavor to be in every single bite.
Ingredients Needed To Make S'mores Cookie Bars
- Crushed Graham Crackers - If you can't find crushed graham crackers, whole graham crackers finely broken up will work.
- Baking Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Butter - Softened.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar - Keeps the base moist.
- Chocolate Chunks - Semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate are great options.
- Marshmallow Fluff
How To Make S'more Cookie Bars
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare an 8x8 square pan with parchment or butter. Set to the side.
- Dry ingreidents. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Wet ingreidents. In a medium-sized bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter for one minute on medium speed. Add in the sugar and continue to cream the mixture until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Once fluffy, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- Combine and mix. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, alternating in three parts. Mix until fully combined.
- Create the layers. Take the 8x8 pan and add half of the cookie dough base to the bottom of the pan. Follow the cookie dough base with a layer of marshmallow fluff topped with the chocolate chunks. Continue to layer until the cookie dough runs out.
- Bake. Bake the bars at 350 for about 20-30 minutes. The bars will look gooey and toasty when completed. Let the bars cool slightly before cutting. Enjoy while still warm.
How To Store S'mores Cookie Bars
The bars will last about 5-7 days before getting stale. Keep the bars in an airtight container after cutting them. The bars can also be frozen in individual pieces. Wrap the bars in plastic wrap and seal them in an airtight container. To warm them up, thaw them on the counter overnight or place them in the microwave for 20 seconds incriminates.
Stick with marshmallow fluff when making s'mores cookie bars. The fluff stays gooey and toasty, unlike traditional marshmallows that tend to burn.
Other toppings like peanut butter, Nutella, and Oreos are excellent mix-ins to add to the s'mores bars. You can add them in as layers or blend in with the base.
Yes! The s'mores bars can be made ahead of time. Keep the bars in the pan until you are ready to cut them. To warm them up, place them in a low oven until the chocolate and marshmallows get melty and gooey.
S'mores Cookie Bars
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 tbsp (1 ½ sticks) butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 12 oz bag of chocolate chips
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare an 8x8 dish with parchment or butter. Set to the side.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the graham crackers, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a medium-sized bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter for about 1 minute. Then, add in the sugar and continue to mix the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and mix in the vanilla and the egg.
- Add the dry ingreidents to the sugar mixture in 3 parts. Mix to fully combine, making sure to scrape down the sides.
- In the pan, use about half of the cookie dough base and flatten it out to cover the bottom. Then, use the marshmallow fluff to create another layer, followed by the chocolate chips. Continue layering the cookie dough, fluff, and chocolate chips.
- Bake the s'mores bars for about 20-30 minutes in the oven. The marshmallows will look toasted when ready. Let the bars slightly cool to slice. Serve while still warm.