Bark is one of the most crowd-pleasing desserts on the planet! Seriously, who doesn’t love a mashup of chocolate, Oreos, and candy? This chocolate Halloween bark is certainly decorated for the upcoming holiday, but you can easily make this any time of the year.
This chocolate Halloween bark is also pretty easy to make. As long as you have access to a microwave, you really can’t screw it up. All you really have to do for this recipe is melt chocolate. Sounds pretty easy, right?
For the Halloween decorations, I decided to go with these edible googly eyes. I also used them to make my Halloween monster cupcakes and they were a huge hit. I love using them as decorations and will have to find a way to use them on non-Halloween themed desserts! Along with the edible eyes, I used the Halloween themed M&Ms. They come in green, orange, and purple and look great as a topping.
Now, this bark is all about the layers. I layer white and semi-sweet chocolate first, followed by a layer of Oreos. If you don’t like semi-sweet and want to use dark, go ahead. This recipe is very interchangeable with types of chocolate and toppings. Just make sure to follow the ratios correctly.
I also use a little bit of coconut oil in the chocolate to get it to smooth out and harden nicely. I use about 2 tbsp for each bag of chocolate. If the chocolate looks a little thick when melting, add in a little more oil. This will make it easier to spread.
This recipe is basically foolproof. As long as you can melt chocolate and freeze it in the right order, you’ve got yourself some chocolate bark! Feel free to different toppings as well. I kept this one simple with Oreos but have also added peanut butter in the past. You can really add in any type of candy on top as well.
Check out the full recipe below and let me know what toppings you choose! Happy Halloween!
- 1 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 12 oz bag white chocolate chips
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pack Oreos
- 1 bag M&Ms
- 1 bag peanut butter M&Ms
- 1 pack edible googly eyes
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate. In a large bowl place one bag of chocolate chips with 2 tbsp of coconut oil. To melt the chocolate, you can either use a microwave or a double boiler. For a microwave, make sure to melt the chocolate in increments so it does not burn. Continue to stir each time it is taken out of the microwave. For a double boiler, continuously stir the chocolate until the chips are melted. Repeat the same step with the remaining bag of chocolate and the coconut oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, crush the Oreos. Use as many Oreos as you would like and crush them using a fork. You want bite-sized pieces. I used about 15 Oreos, but you can easily use more/less depending on your preference.
- Grab the prepared cookie sheet and begin pouring the melted semi-sweet chocolate on the parchment. You can do this in any order you want. Make sure it is smooth and has an even layer. Place in the freeze for 3-5 minutes to get an initial freeze. Repeat step white chocolate chips. Before placing the second layer in the freezer sprinkle on a layer of crushed Oreos. Let sit in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.
- After the Oreo layer is frozen, repeat the same steps with the remaining chocolate. Before placing the final layer in the freezer, sprinkle the top with the different M&Ms and edible googly eyes. It does not matter how many you use, just make sure the layers are covered enough.
- Place in the freezer for about 1 hour before cutting. When cutting the bark, run your knife under warm water to get an easier cut.
- The bark should be kept in the freezer/refrigerator It will last for several weeks if frozen.
Did you make this recipe?! Let me know and share it on Instagram. Tag @crispcrumble and use the hashtag #crispandcrumble.