Love chocolate? Love pumpkin bread? Well, have I got the perfect combo for you!
This chocolate swirl pumpkin bread is a pretty perfect fall dessert. The bread uses an entire can of pumpkin and is full of strong fall flavors including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. To finish it off, melted dark chocolate is swirled throughout the loaf.
This pumpkin bread was adapted from Butternut Bakery and her Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze. The picture of this dessert kept following me all over Instagram so I decided it was time to give it a try. The recipe has a great balance of spice and pumpkin, keeping the loaf flavorful but not overpowering.
I decided to go with the recipe from Butternut Bakery after having a little mishap with my own pumpkin bread. I attempted to make a chocolate swirl pumpkin bread similar to my banana bread recipe. Turns out swapping the pumpkin for bananas isn’t as easy as it seems. The batter basically didn’t cook through and it was super dense. The only silver lining is that it looked very pretty with the swirl! However, it was a completely different story after cutting into the loaf. The loaf was basically like a brick and pretty undercooked after a long time in the oven. Let’s just say my lesson was quickly learned!
This loaf is basically the opposite of my mishap, very light and moist. If you are not the biggest chocolate fan, you definitely do not have to add it in. Just make the batter and put it in the oven without swirling in the chocolate. You can also add in the chocolate as chips, instead of melting it down and swirling it in the batter.
Whatever you decide to do with this pumpkin bread is great. It is truly a great seasonal dessert.
Check out the full recipe below and let me know what you think!
Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325° and prepare a 9x5 inch loaf pan with grease. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large bowl using a whisk or an electric mixer combine the pumpkin puree, oil, and sugars. Mix until combined. Next, add in the eggs and vanilla. Continue to mix until fully combined.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. Mix until fully combined. Slowly add in the milk and mix it together. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Melt the chocolate chip in the microwave. Make sure to melt the chocolate in increments so it won't burn.
- Pour the pumpkin batter into the prepared loaf pan. Slowly drizzle the chocolate into the pan on to the pumpkin batter. With a spoon, swirl the chocolate into the pumpkin batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The pumpkin is very dense so it might take longer to bake. Just keep an eye on the loaf. The loaf will be done when a toothpick comes out smooth.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan. The pumpkin bread should last about 1 week in an air-tight container.
Did you make this recipe?! Let me know and share it on Instagram. Tag @crispcrumble and use the hashtag #crispandcrumble